Monday, April 15, 2013

First Day!

     Today was my first day of school!  The students were excited to be back from their two week break, I'm sure.  Ha.  For the first day, I shadowed a year 7 (sixth grade or 11 year olds) student to all of his classes in order to see what the average day was like for the students.  Like I discovered last week, the schedule is quite different from ours in the States.  Two one hour class periods, twenty minute break, two one hour class periods, fifty minute lunch, one class, then registration (homeroom).  I rather liked it because the students don't have the same classes every day, and their next French or History class might be at a completely different time in the day later on!  However, there is a downside to this.  For example, my year 7 student had French class first thing this morning, but won't have it again until next Friday.

     And by next Friday, I don't mean this coming Friday.  I mean a WEEK from this Friday.

     Some of these students are taking Italian AND French at the same time.  I feel like I might start mixing up my verb conjugations if I was in the same situation.  BUT.  There is a good side.  Students are able to take a variety of different classes AND they can take two languages at the same time.  There is so much wonderful potential for growth and success by organizing the schools this way.  I like the variety, and the switch up of classes because it seems to keep the students more interested in the classes.

     I am very excited to start my timetable in the morning.  Since I will be certified to teach Language Arts and Social Studies in the United States, I will be getting a little of both of these subjects.  However, I will be based in the Social Sciences department, which includes History, Geography, Religion, Psychology, and Health and Social Care.  (I think I might have mentioned that before...sorry!)  Anyway, tomorrow I start off with Psychology - we'll see how this goes! 

I will post pictures tomorrow afternoon - I'm tired and ready to hit the sack!  (I tried British Zumba tonight...whew!)

No comments:

Post a Comment